Villa Maria College’s annual student magazine is produced in-house by students, faculty, and staff. Founded in 1977, the publication features work from nearly every academic discipline on campus including graphic design, creative writing, fine arts, animation, and photography.
Read the 2015 issue now.
The publication takes its name from the skald, an ancient Scandavian poet who memorialized the epic deeds of the Vikings with his elaborate recitations at court, composing and performing what is now characterized as Old Norse poetry.
Every year, Skald is submitted for critique to the American Scholastic Press Association and the Columbia Scholastic Press Association and has continually received national recognition from both organizations in their critiques. In 2006 Skald won a Gold Crown from the CSPA, and took home Silver Crowns in 2004, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, and 2014.
Submit Pieces to Skald
Work is beginning on the 2016 issue of Skald, so as you make new pieces, and prepare your projects, please keep in mind the following details.
All submitted work must include a Submission Form, or be uploaded using the form below. You can download that form here if you need to print it out and submit it with a two or three-dimensional piece, outside M200. Pieces submitted this way will be photographed.
Written work may be submitted below as well, or delivered to Professor Kessel in Felician Hall.
There is no limit to the number of submissions you can enter.
Submitting your digital images
- Format your image at least 5 inch x 7 inch(approx.) 300dpi RGB or CMYK file.
- With your file open in Photoshop, go to File>File Info and put the title of the piece, your name, and a description of the piece in the document description.
- Save your file as a High Quality JPEG or TIFF (without layers, no image compression and Macintosh Byte order.)
- Name the file with your last name and a number, eg. bosworth1.jpg
- Upload the files to the form below.