At Villa Maria College, we have a long history of supporting students, including providing accommodations and services for students with documented disabilities.
Helping Students with Disabilities
The Office of Disability Services provides appropriate and individualized access to College programs and services to students with documented disabilities.
Examples of Accommodations
- Extended time and separate proctored location to complete tests
- Test questions read out loud
- Use of a calculator
- Tape recording lectures
- Access to assistive technology, like LiveScribe pens
- Textbooks in alternative formats
*Need for adaptive equipment should be discussed with the Director of Student Success
How the Process Works
If you’re a student with a disability, you should:
- Voluntarily identify yourself as needing accommodations when you apply to Villa Maria College by emailing [email protected].
- Submit documentation that clearly indicates the need for academic adjustments, modifications, auxiliary aids or services to the Director of Health and Disability Services. Download our guidelines for Documenting a Disability.
- Sign a release form allowing the Director to inform instructors of the accommodations needed to promote learning.
- Inform instructors of the accommodations required.
The American Disabilities Act Section 504
According to the American Disabilities Act (ADA), an individual with a disability is defined as a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, a person who has a history or record of such impairment, or a person who is perceived by others as having such impairment.
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act states that no otherwise qualified person in the United States “shall solely by reason of disability, be denied the benefits of or be excluded from participation in or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity that receives federal financial assistance.”
Quick Links for Students With Disabilities
- Western New York Collegiate Consortium and Disability Advocates (CCDA)
- US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
- Student With Disabilities Preparing for Postsecondary Education, US Department of Education
- Vocational and Education Services for Individuals with Disabilities (VESID)
- 10 Tips for College Students with Disabilities
- Textbook in Alternative Format Request
Accessible Route Instructions
Villa Maria College has designated an accessible route throughout campus.
Accessible elevators are located in Felician Hall and in the Music Building side of the Main Building.
Accessible restrooms are located on the first floor of the Main building and the first floor of Felician Hall.
Please contact Dave Skolen for more information.
The Library staff proctors any quizzes/tests/exams that require accommodations or make-up assessments approved by a course instructor. For students with disabilities, we have available a variety of assistive technology and software including but not limited to:
- Noise cancelling headphones
- Livescribe smart pens
- Kurzweil Firefly
- Dragon Naturally Speaking
For Villa’s testing cover sheet click here.
For Villa’s testing instructions click here.
For instructions on how to register for WC Online, click here.
ACADEMIC COACH AND ACCESSIBILITY COORDINATOR