Helping Students With Disabilities
At Villa Maria College, we have a long history of supporting diversity, including providing accommodations and services for students with documented disabilities.
The Office of Disability Services provides appropriate and individualized access to College programs and services to students with documented disabilities. Reasonable accommodations and support are provided while we encourage and promote self-advocacy skills that are necessary for student success.
Examples of accommodations:
- Extended time to complete tests
- Proctored exams in the Academic Success Center
- Test questions read out loud
- Using alternative answer sheets and sufficient scratch paper
- Use of a calculator
- Tape recording lectures
- Copies of a note taker’s notes
- Access to assistive technology
- Textbooks in alternative formats
*Need for adaptive equipment should be discussed with the Director of Health and Disability Services.
How the Process Works
If you’re a student with a disability, you should:
- Voluntarily identify yourself as needing accommodations when you apply to Villa Maria College.
- Submit documentation that clearly indicates the need for academic adjustments, modifications, auxiliary aids or services to the Director of Health and Disability Services. Download our guidelines for Documenting a Disability.
- Sign a release form allowing the Director to inform instructors of the accommodations needed to promote learning.
- Inform instructors of the accommodations required.
Questions about disability services? Please contact us!