The Value of the Villa Animation Program
Starting with its fundamental principles, you’ll learn everything you need to know about animation, including traditional techniques, character design, storyboarding, 3D modeling, rigging, texturing, animation, compositing, and final editing.
Our faculty are industry professionals, who have experience at nationally and internationally renowned animation and graphic design studios, and continue to work in the marketplace. With small class sizes, you’ll have all the personal attention you need to succeed.
You’ll have opportunities to work with companies like Fisher-Price Inc. and also gain experience through internships at other organizations like the Buffalo Bills, Hallwalls Contemporary Art Center, STRUCK-down Entertainment, and 8 Hats High Animation & Production.
Collaboration is key to the animation program. Taking inspiration from other disciplines and new ideas the curriculum encourages you to integrate other fine arts areas into your studies, like photography, music, printmaking, and fashion design.
Interested in learning more about the Villa experience?
The Career Potential
In today’s world, the work animators do is everywhere – from movies and TV to the Internet, video games and advertising. When you’re ready to graduate, our program is on the list of approved animation programs at Sony Pictures Imageworks.
With a BFA in Animation, some of the types of career paths you could pursue include:
- Video game animator
- 2D/3D character animator
- Character designer
- Background/environment artist
- Character modeler
- Character rigger
- Texture artist
- Lighting artist
- Visual effects artist
- After Effects artist
- Flash animator
Villa’s animation program regularly hosts industry guest speakers who can talk with you about your career options and critique your work. You’ll also have the chance to gain exposure by showcasing your work at local theaters, festivals, and international film festivals during your junior and senior years.
You’ll have access to cutting edge studios with the latest software and equipment to let your talent and imagination take you anywhere.
- 3 computer animation studios equipped with industry leading software, like the Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite (Maya, Mudbox and MatchMover), Adobe CS6, Toon Boom Harmony, FlipBook Studio, and Quicktime Pro.
- 1 stop-motion studio equipped with Dragon Stop-Motion software, as well as a specialized lighting system.
- Studio spaces equipped with large, HDTV televisions and Blu-Ray/DVD players.
- Access to the Art Shop for fabrication of stop-motion puppets.
- HD video cameras, Nikon digital still cameras, tripods, flatbed scanners, traditional animation light tables, and a camera stand for creating animated pencil tests.
- You must earn a grade of C or above in all Animation (ANM) courses for successful completion.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.) in Animation Curriculum Requirements
Questions about the program? Contact us today.