Financial Aid FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

The first step is to complete the FAFSA; click here to get started.

According to StudentAid.Gov, FAFSA stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Completion of the FAFSA makes you eligible to receive grants, loans and work study money from the federal government. Villa Maria College uses the FAFSA to provide its own financial aid and work study opportunities.

The FAFSA will help Villa’s financial aid counselors determine how much money a family is expected to contribute to a student’s college tuition. 

It takes about 30 minutes to complete the FAFSA, can be done online and is free. For more information on FAFSA, click here.

In order to receive federal financial aid, you are required you to complete the FAFSA every year you are enrolled in school.

According to StudentAid.Gov, EFC stands for expected family contribution, is a measure of your family’s financial strength and is calculated according to a formula established by law. Your family’s taxed and untaxed income, assets and benefits (such as unemployment or Social Security) are all considered in the formula.

Villa Maria College’s school codes are as follows:
FAFSA: 002896
TAP (Associates): 2158
TAP (Bachelors): 2188

For the 2018-2019 school year, full-time tuition is $11,040/semester, and part-time tuition is $737/credit. For a complete list of all costs and fees associated with attending Villa Maria College, click here.

For the 2016-2017 school year, Villa students received an average of $18,065 per student.

A list of scholarship opportunities available to Villa Maria College students can be found here. Please note this list is not all inclusive, and you can learn more by speaking with one of Villa’s financial aid counselors.

Financial aid packages for students who reside outside of New York State are processed the same as in-state packages.  Villa’s cost of attendance includes the cost of tuition (which is the same for in state and out of state residents), room and board, class and college fees, books and supplies, transportation, and personal expenses.  The financial aid office personalizes each package to our students’ individualized need, academic merit and creative talents.  We use the FAFSA-generated Estimated Family Contribution to determine federal Title IV aid eligibility.  Out of state students are not eligible for TAP.

To be eligible for Title IV funding, students must be U.S. citizens or eligible permanent residents.  However, international students are eligible for merit or transfer scholarships and even talent scholarships.

Work study job availability changes each semester. For the most up-to-date list, contact Becky Detlef at 716-961-1828 or [email protected]

According to StudentAid.Ed.Gov, Direct Subsidized Loans have slightly better terms to help out students with financial need. For more information click here.

According to, the goal of entrance counseling is to help you understand what it means to take out a federal student loan.

According to Exit Counseling provides important information to prepare you to repay your federal student loan(s).

If you have received a subsidized, unsubsidized or PLUS loan under the Direct Loan Program you must complete exit counseling each time you:

  • Drop below half-time enrollment
  • Graduate
  • Leave school

Learn more about Exit Counseling here.

The Enhanced Tuition Awards (ETA) program provides tuition awards to students who are New York State residents attending a participating private college located in New York State. Recipients will receive $6,000 through a combination of their TAP award, ETA award and a match from their private college.

New York State’s Excelsior Scholarship promises free tuition for students at certain income levels.

Students whose households make less than $100,000 a year in adjusted, gross income qualify this year. The income cap will increase in 2018 to $110,000 and in 2019 to $125,000.  Students must meet the same residency requirements that are necessary to qualify for the Tuition Assistance Program.

Graduate students do not qualify, and neither do students who already have bachelor’s degrees. Also, students with associate’s degrees are only eligible for the scholarship if they’re seeking a bachelor’s degree, not another associate’s degree.

[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]