Jump Start a Career in Graphic Design
Villa Maria’s Graphic Design program can offer you:
- A two-plus-two model. The associate degree curriculum is imbedded into the Bachelor of Fine Arts curriculum and allows you to enter directly into the B.F.A. program or to move seamlessly into the program following successful completion of the associate degree.
- A curriculum that merges the “traditional” with the “high tech.” Our Graphic Design program includes a strong foundational focus on design basics, color theory, drawing and painting. Industry-specific knowledge and conceptual problem solving are explored through studies in graphic design fundamentals, typography, digital imaging and visual communications with attention to technical and aesthetic aspects. The program also emphasizes multimedia and interactive design early on and advances to advertising, publication and web design.
- Hands-on courses taught by industry pros. Learn from industry professionals with real world experience, using the techniques and technology you’ll actually need in the workplace.
Villa students are always making new and exciting pieces that showcase their talents and applying their skills in practical environments.
The Career Potential
Graphic design is a $7 billion dollar-a-year industry and has an ever-increasing demand for highly trained design professionals.
In fact, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of graphic designers is expected to grow 13% from 2010 through 2020 as the demand for designers continues to increase from both advertisers and computer design firms. Moreover, graphic designers with website design and animation experience will be in especially high demand for interactive media design projects.
As a graduate of this program, some of the entry-level positions you would qualify for include:
- Mechanical artist
- Graphic designer
- Package designer
- Dedicated and shared studio spaces with drawing tables, a project critique area, and state-of-the-art iMac Apple computers equipped with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Flash, GoLive and Acrobat Professional.
- A classroom reference library.
- Flat bed scanners, Intous Graphics Pen Tablets, a roofing printer and a large format printer.
- You must earn a grade of C or above in all Graphic Design (GRA) courses for successful completion.
- Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) in Graphic Design Curriculum Requirements
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.) in Graphic Design Curriculum Requirements
Interested in Learning More?
Fill out the form below to contact Admissions and receive more information about our programs