Jump Start a Career in Animation
Villa Maria’s Animation program can offer you:
- A rigorous curriculum grounded in the fundamental principles of animation. You’ll learn everything you need to know about animation, including traditional techniques, character design, storyboarding, 3D modeling, rigging, texturing, and animation, compositing, and final editing.
- Flexibility. We offer a fluid approach to learning, allowing you to integrate other fine arts areas into your studies, like photography, printmaking and 3D design.
- In-the-know instructors. You’ll be taught by industry pros who have experience at nationally and internationally renowned animation and graphic design studios.
- Real world experience. You’ll have opportunities to collaborate with clients like Fischer-Price Inc. and Isolation Sciences, LLC to create 3D projects based on their specs. You can also gain experience and college credit through internships at organizations, such as the Buffalo Bills Creative Services Department, Hallwalls Contemporary Art Center, STRUCK-down Entertainment and 8 Hats High Animation & Production.
- Feedback from the experts. We regularly host industry guest speakers who can speak with you about your career options and critique your work. You’ll also have the chance to gain exposure by showcasing your work at venues like the Market Arcade Film & Arts Centre, and at local and international film festivals during your junior and senior years.
- A seal of approval. Our Animation program is on the list of approved animation programs at Sony Pictures Imageworks.
Villa students are always making new and exciting pieces that showcase their talents and applying their skills in practical environments.
The Career Potential
It’s never been a better time to be in animation. In today’s world, the work animators do is everywhere – from movies and TV to the Internet, video games and advertising.
With a BFA in Animation, some of the types of career paths you could pursue include:
- Video game animator
- 2D/3D character animator
- Character designer
- Background/environment artist
- Character modeler
- Character rigger
- Texture artist
- Lighting artist
- Visual effects artist
- After Effects artist
- Flash animator
- 3 computer animation studios equipped with industry leading software, like the Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite (Maya, Mudbox and MatchMover), Adobe CS6, Toon Boom Harmony, FlipBook Studio, and Quicktime Pro.
- 1 stop-motion studio equipped with Dragon Stop-Motion software, as well as a specialized lighting system.
- Studio spaces equipped with large, HDTV televisions and Blu-Ray/DVD players.
- Access to the Art Shop for fabrication of stop-motion puppets.
- HD video cameras, Nikon digital still cameras, tripods, flatbed scanners, traditional animation light tables, and a camera stand for creating animated pencil tests.